What Is an SMS?
A Short Sent Message, or SMS, is a text messaging tool available on most telephones, mobile phones, and the Internet worldwide. Using this messaging tool as a mode of communication, you can send text messages to others for business, commercial or personal use.
Since its invention, the SMS tool has been thoroughly developed and is now widely used for commercial purposes as well. The tool has made it easier to donate for causes, cast votes and even send business information to people anywhere in the world.
One of the developments in the SMS tool is that it now allows you to send statistical information in the form of charts. Sending charts in SMS has been made possible recently with the help of websites and software like Image-Charts that allow users to send different types of statistical information displayed in charts and graphs.
What are Image Charts?
Image charts are charts formed from statistical data and embedded in a URL. They make it easier to share statistical data and analysis with interested stakeholders by using the URL.
Image charts are created using API referencing, the tutorial for which you can find on our website. For more information on what image charts are and how they work, click here.
How to Send Image Charts in SMS
Thousands of people prefer sending charts in SMS every single day. This is because of the ease of setup, lower costs involved in the process and the advantage of having a personalized connection with others via SMS.
In this section, we will find out how to send charts in SMS so you can share your image chart using your mobile phone. So let’s get started!
Step # 1: Send a POST Request
To send an image chart in SMS, you firstly need to create a POST request.
In the world of computing, a POST request is a technique that is supported by HTTP, which is used by the World Wide Web. The POST request asks the web server to accept and store the data encoded in the body of a message. A POST request is mostly used when a file needs to be uploaded or when a web form needs to be submitted.
Go to the software you are using, for instance, Image-Charts, and send a POST request.
Step # 2: Define the Parameters
The second step in our guide on how to send charts in SMS is to include parameters in the URL. The following three primary parameters must be defined clearly to send a personalized message. Specify them in the following order:
- Phone number
- Your text message
- API key (at the end of the URL)
Step # 3: Chart-Wise Distinction
To send line or bar graphs, you should use the following parameters in addition to the phone number, text message and key:
- Data (number of data points)
- Type (Bar chart or line chart)
- Title (the title of the graph)
- Labels (the labels on the axes of the graph)
To send customized and complex charts like a pie chart or a spider web chart, send the following parameters in addition to the primary parameters:
- Chart (chart type, definition and configuration)
- Background Color (color of the chart canvas/plot area)
Step # 4: URL Generation
After adding all the parameters, you will get a specified URL for your image chart, which you can use for sending charts in SMS. The URL must look something like this:
Some Things to Keep in Mind
- When adding a phone number in the parameter, you must add it in E.164 format. For example, write (771) 124-819 as +1771124819.
- Simple and complex charts require different parameters. Make sure you define these.
- Sending charts in SMS that are highly customized and complex can cost you more.
- It is also possible to get delivery status on your sent SMS. You can get one of the following four return values:
- Sending (dispatched; in queue)
- Failed (could not send)
- Delivered (delivered successfully by the carrier service)
- Sent (sent to the carrier service but no receipt of delivery yet)
- Unknown (status of delivery could not be determined)
- To receive SMS replies for the charts that you have sent, you can set up an HTTPS route back to your website that will redirect all incoming SMS to your site.
Send Your Charts Today With Image-Charts!
Sending image charts via the SMS tool is one of the cheapest and best ways to market your product or service or communicate with the employees and clients of your company or business.
We hope you enjoyed our tutorial on how to send charts in SMS. Use our service by visiting our website today and test our SMS feature to send image charts. Let us know in the comments below if you have questions about sending charts in SMS or want to share your experiences with us. For updates on our services and to get notifications from us, visit https://status.image-charts.com/ today.